2015 Family of the Year- The Mach Family
Family of the Year Essay Contest
It is evident that students continue to rely on the support of their family on their way to and during college. UC San Diego believes and acknowledges this relationship as an important part of the college experience. For these reasons, we welcome students and families to nominate their family for the Family of the Year Award, honored at Family Weekend each fall.
We accept nominations from both the student and the family . The student nomination is different from the family nomination. Only one nomination is required to be eligible for consideration, but two nominations from one family are welcome!
Prompt for Students
UCSD students should write an essay of no more than 800 words which specifies:
- How your family has supported your UCSD journey;
- How their support impacted your connection to UCSD; and
- How your family has prepared you to engage with various types of people and perspectives at UCSD and beyond
Prompt for Families
Parents/Families of UCSD students should write an essay of no more than 800 words which specifies:
- How you have supported your student’s journey at UCSD;
- How your support impacted your student’s connection to UCSD; and
- How you believe UCSD has prepared your student to engage with various types of people and perspectives at UCSD and beyond
Essays will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Show evidence of family's support for student's college success
- Show evidence of family's enthusiasm for the University
- Show evidence of impact on student’s ability to engage with community around them
- Be creative!
- Check spelling, grammar, and syntax.
- All currently enrolled UC San Diego undergraduates and their family members are eligible to nominate their family.
- "Family" is defined by you including parents, guardians, foster families, siblings, spouse, partner, etc.
- All families are eligible for nomination regardless of state or country of residence.
- Family members whether alive or deceased may also be nominated.
- A $350.00 Bookstore Prize (non-cash prize).
- Complimentary tickets for your family (up to 4 members and the student) to attend Family Weekend 2016 (Oct. 21-23).
- Weekend hotel accommodations for your family during Family Weekend (October 21-23, 2016).
- A commemorative plaque presented to your family on Sunday, October 23rd during the closing event of Family Weekend – Farewell Brunch.
- Your family will also be featured on the Parent & Family Programs website and calendar.
Accepting nominations during Summer
DEADLINE: August 30, 2016
How to Nominate Your Family:
The Family of the Year 2016 Essay Contest has closed. Be on the lookout for the application next Spring, 2017!