Skip to main content
Translate this page: The Google Translate tool serves to assist families; translation may not be 100% accurate.

Frequently Asked Questions

Billing and Refunds

Who do I talk to about my student's bill?
Student Financial Solutions helps you with questions regarding your student's bill. You can contact Student Financial Solutions by phone (858) 946-4160 or by submitting a ticket via the Student Financial Solutions Services & Support Portal..


When are tuition payments due?
The university bills the student monthly, with quarterly tuition and registration fees due in September, December and March. To view when tuition is due, visit the Billing Due Dates webpage. Students and family members who are authorized payers can also enroll in TRIP, a payment installment plan, to pay tuition. For students living on campus, families can elect to pay housing fees in full, quarterly or monthly installments.


How do I make payments on behalf of my student?
To perform transactions on your student's behalf, your student must first authorize a parent or family member to access their financial record. Any parent or family member can be authorized. These step-by-step video instructions will show your student how to authorize a parent or family member to access their bill. Students may authorize up to three payers to view and pay the university bill. Payments can be made online by electronic check (or E-check), credit card or third-party vendor, with options for international payments, 529 college savings and more. Check out our video tutorial about viewing and paying your student’s bill.


How do I manage technology issues such as login and error messages?
If you are having trouble logging into TritonPay as an authorized payer, it may be because you did not create your login credentials within the 14 days of receiving instructions from If that’s the case:

  • Ask your student to review how to authorize payers (video) and have them try reauthorizing your authorized payer access. 
  • When you receive your authorization email from, create your credentials immediately.
  • Clear your browser or your cookies and wait a few minutes before logging in again.
  • Try using another browser (i.e. Chrome, Mozilla, Internet Explorer).
  • Talk to your student about changes that they may have made.
  • Remember, authorizing a third party to view the student's bill is not required by the university.

If none of the suggestions resolve the issue, contact Student Financial Solutions at (858) 946-4160 or submit a ticket via the Student Financial Solutions Services & Support Portal.


My student withdrew from school or has graduated from UC San Diego. Why are they being billed
Your student must officially withdraw through their college to cancel their financial obligation to UC San Diego. Without a withdrawal, your student is responsible for their fees. View more information on the withdrawal process.

Some fees may be charged to your student's account near the end of their last quarter or even post-graduation. If you have questions or don’t understand charges on your student’s bill, contact Student Financial Solutions at (858) 946-4160 or by submitting a ticket via the Student Financial Solutions Services & Support Portal.


How does the university handle refunds?
Refunds are issued directly to the student named on the student account in question, regardless of who made the payment. Refunds can be provided in multiple ways and for multiple reasons, including:

  • Cash or check overpayment
  • Financial aid
  • Credit card overpayment
  • Housing credit
  • Stipends
For more information regarding specific refunds processes and timeframes, please view the Student Financial Solutions refund policies and information webpage.

Loans and Scholarships

Where can I learn about and apply for a Parent Plus Loan?
Our Financial Aid and Scholarship Office provides information about all types of Federal Direct Loans, including the Parent PLUS loan. For those interested in applying for a Parent PLUS Loan, UC San Diego uses the electronic Direct PLUS Loan Application application available at

Before you start the Parent Plus Loan Application, you will need:

  1. A Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID, which must be set up prior to logging in to the application portal
  2. Your student’s Information (name, social security number, date of birth, permanent address and phone number)
  3. Your (the borrower’s) personal information (permanent and mailing addresses, phone number and email address)
  4. Your employer's information (employer’s name, address and phone number)

Learn more about the application process on the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office website. Note that eligibility for a Parent PLUS Loan is limited to biological or adoptive parents (with no adverse credit history) of a dependent student.

If your application for a Parent PLUS Loan is denied, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.


When are financial aid and scholarship funds usually disbursed?
Financial aid and scholarship money are disbursed at the beginning of each quarter. If your student's financial aid file is complete, and your student is enrolled in at least six course units for the quarter, then your student can expect their financial aid and/or scholarship to be disbursed the first week of each quarter.


Who can I talk to about my or my student's financial situation?
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office is available to answer questions and offer guidance regarding your student’s financial situation. There are multiple ways to get in touch with the Financial Aid and Scholarship team. We recommend the following methods, in order of priority:

  • In-Person Drop-In Counseling, available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Email your questions to Most questions receive responses within three to four business days.
  • Call the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (858) 534-4480. Note that telephone hours are limited to 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Staff availability over the phone is extremely limited and will result in long wait times.


What is the cost of attendance at UC San Diego?
Learn more about UC San Diego's estimated cost of attendance (for both undergraduate and graduate students) on our Financial Aid and Scholarships website.


How does attending school part-time versus full-time affect my student's financial aid?
Tuition and aid are adjusted based on enrollment status. UC San Diego verifies your student's enrolled units each quarter before disbursing financial aid funds into your student's account. UC San Diego then re-verifies your student's enrolled units at the end of each quarter's course add period. For students who study part-time, their fees and tuition will be reduced. This also results in financial aid reduction, which may require your student to repay previously disbursed aid. Learn more, including information about grants that are eligible for reduction in aid based on your student's status.

Methods of Payment

How can I pay my student’s bill internationally?
For international payers who have a U.S. bank account, utilize e-check (electronic check).

For international payers who do not have a U.S. bank account or would not like to pay by e-check, Student Financial Solutions offers two different international payment options for students and their families.


Does UC San Diego offer a payment plan?
Students and family members who are authorized payers can enroll in our payment installment plan, TRIP. For students living on campus, families can elect to pay housing fees in full, quarterly or monthly installments.


I want to mail in my student’s tuition payment. Where do I send it?
The Cashier's Office accepts all forms of payments via mail, except cash. Mailed payments must be received by the cashier on or before the payment due date. The university will not honor postmarks as on time. 
Mail payments to:

UC San Diego Central Cashier
Student Services Center Suite 170
7835 Trade Street
San Diego, CA 92121
MC 0009

To avoid processing delays, ensure mailed payments are made payable to "UC Regents" and include your student’s full name (first and last) and PID number (i.e., A000000000).


Does UC San Diego accept partial payment from multiple supporters?
Your student can authorize up to three different authorized payers. Payments can be made in multiple forms and different amounts (PDF). If you have questions or don’t understand charges on your student’s bill, contact Student Financial Solutions at (858) 946-4160 or by submitting a ticket via the Student Financial Solutions Services & Support Portal.


What forms of payment are accepted?
UC San Diego supports multiple payment methods.

Online Payments can be made by:

  • E-check
  • Credit card
  • Third party vendor

Payments can also be made in-person or by mail with:

  • Personal check
  • Money order
  • Cashier’s check
  • Traveler’s check
  • Cash (in-person only; cash payments are not accepted via mail)

For international payers, Student Financial Solutions offers two different international payment options.

Families can also utilize a 529 Prepaid Educational Savings plan to pay fees.


Are there banks on or near campus from which my student can open an account?
University Credit Union (UCU), UC San Diego's official financial institution partner, offers a variety of banking services to students — including an on-campus banking hub and on-campus ATMs. There are also many banks near campus that your student can take advantage of.

UC SHIP (Student Health Insurance)

How does my student waive UC SHIP?
If your student can demonstrate that they have a comparable medical insurance coverage, your student may be able to opt out of UC SHIP. There are strict guidelines and deadlines regarding this process and your student is not guaranteed to receive a waiver.

If you do waive UC SHIP, consider the Reduced Access Fee for Tritons (RAFT) program, which allows students who waive UC SHIP to visit Student Health Services (SHS) for many primary care needs without the worry of high costs. Students who waive UC SHIP and do not purchase RAFT must pay the full cost of all services at SHS.

For more information about UC SHIP and RAFT, contact Student Health Services at (858) 534-2124 or


When is the deadline for waiving UC SHIP?
Deadlines for waiving UC SHIP can be found on our Student Health and Well-Being website.


Does my student have to waive UC SHIP every quarter?
No — but students who wish to waive UC SHIP must do so every academic year. Once your student’s UC SHIP waiver is approved, it is applied for the rest of the academic year (including summer sessions).


Is UC SHIP accepted during the holidays, summer break and while studying abroad?
UC SHIP is valid for the entire academic year, including holidays and summer break.

Note that study abroad programs, particularly though those administered by U.S. institutions, require that students buy special health insurance developed for students participating in their programs. However, those students enrolling directly at foreign institutions, may not be provided with such an opportunity. Visit the Study Abroad Office to learn more about overseas coverage options.

Is there additional insurance for athletes?
UC SHIP is a comprehensive health insurance plan and all registered students, including intercollegiate athletes, are automatically enrolled. Students already enrolled in a comparable health insurance plan may waive UC SHIP coverage by completing a Health Fee Waiver application during the waiver period.


What housing status will you use to create my student’s financial aid package?
Financial Aid packages are initially based on the housing status reported on the annual FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application. Students who listed university housing but do not have a university housing contract may be selected for housing verification. Housing statuses include:
  • On campus
  • Off campus
  • Living with parent

Can financial aid and loans be used to cover housing payments?
The university applies your financial aid and loans first to tuition fees and past due amounts, second to housing charges, and third to any other outstanding charges that may be due. If your university fees exceed the amount of financial aid, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility.


Does a change in my student’s housing status affect my student’s financial aid?
Financial aid is awarded up to a student's cost of attendance; changing your student’s housing status will change their cost of attendance.


How does my student cancel their campus housing contract?

Your student can cancel their housing contract prior to moving into their residential room or campus apartment by logging into the Housing Portal and submitting a cancellation form. Please be sure to review the cancellation policy for incoming first-year and transfer students for cancellation fees on the HDH Housing Contract webpage.
Once a student has checked-in/moved-in to their space, contract cancellation is no longer accepted. If a student has an extenuating circumstance necessitating a contract termination, they will need to login to the Housing Portal and submit a Housing Contract Termination Request form.

Same-day contract termination is not available. Finding another apartment off campus is not considered an extenuating circumstance and we advise students NOT to sign leases off campus while they still hold an on-campus housing contract.

Contract termination requests must be approved before a student can move out of their space. Students will be financially responsible for their space until their contract termination request is approved AND they have completed the entire move-out process (which includes moving all of their belongings out of their space and turning in their keys).

Students who withdraw from the university must still complete a Housing Contract Termination Request form and provide accompanying documentation.

If your student is approved for early termination, Housing Dining Hospitality (HDH) adjusts both your student's housing and dining so your student is only billed for the total number of days your student lived on campus.


How do I get my student's 1098-T?
The 1098-T is mailed to students at the end of January. However, we encourage all students to provide their content to receive it electronically to ensure timely and secure delivery. More information can be found on the Student Financial Solutions website and in the 1098-T knowledge base article. If your student cannot find the emailed form, your student can request a new 1098-T form via

How do I get access to past 1098-T forms?
Your student can request past forms at

Helpful Links

Have specific questions?

If you have questions about your student’s unique circumstances, it’s best to reach to the appropriate department directly:

Contact Us

Parents' Helpline: (858) 534-7273